Vythiri is considered to be a stunning town located in Kerala’s Wayanad District, in South India. This place is popular for its diverse tribal communities, spice plantations and beautiful forests. This eco-tourism hotspot, as per Kerala Tourism officials is located at a distance of 60 km from Kozhikode and about 700m above sea level. It is among the three taluks of Wayanad district with the other two stated to be Sulthan Bathery and Mananthavady. This town comprises of 18 villages. In this taluk, the towns include Vythiri, Lakkidi, Kaniyambetta, Kalpetta, Meppadi and Chundale.
Getting to know nature up close
Those staying in a crowded city suffer from pollution and other issues. If you are one among them, then you do deserve some freedom, sunshine, greenery, etc. You can consider booking one of the top resorts in vythiri Wayanad Kerala. This place is filled with historical caves, mesmerizing waterfalls, diverse flora and fauna as well as spice plantations. You can enjoy trekking to the historical caves located here. The resorts here are also comfortable as well as luxurious.
Best time to enjoy visiting Vythiri
The best months to visit this place are between October and April when the temperature is cool. Since it is filled with greenery, it always remains cool throughout the year. Hence, you can plan your visit with friends and family at any time of the year. Off-season is between April and June as the weather here is hot and humid. But travelling during this lean period allows you to grab off-season discounts at your favourite resorts. Monsoon season between July and September witness heavy rainfall accompanied by occasional landslides! Hence, it is better to avoid this season.
How to reach Vythiri?
Kozhikode (Calicut) is the closest railway station, located at a distance of 63 km away from Vythiri. It also has an international airport located at a distance of 3 km. Another access to air travel is Kannur International Airport located at about 100 km away.
Main attractions in Vythiri
- Chembra Peak: It is considered to be the highest peak located in Wayanad Hill Ranges. It is close to Meppady while being 8 km distance from Kalpetta. It is a majestic peak that stands at a height of 2,000m above sea level. You can check out the beautiful views of Wayanad, Nilgiri, Malappuram, Kozhikode districts. You also have the opportunity to explore natural wonders like lush greeneries, peak and heart shaped lake. It is indeed a paradise on earth for all nature lovers.
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary: This wildlife reserve is located close to Vythiri and is home to several varieties of fauna and flora. You can take a walk across this mesmerizing place, considered to be a part of the beautiful Nilgiri biosphere reserve. It is nestled amidst Western Ghats’ enchanted hills. The sanctuary is indeed a peaceful location boasting of pristine beauty offered by nature, thereby, making it a hotspot among tourists. You can check out on bears, leopards, elephants, deer and other small animals that have made this sanctuary their home. Click pictures with these wild animals in your background and explore the reserve. There are three popular national parks that should be on the must visit list, namely, Mudumalai, Bandipur and Nagarhole. It is generally open to visitors between 7am and 10am and from 3pm to 5pm. Total time to cover this sanctuary is approximately 2 to 3 hours. There is a small entry fee to be paid to get access to this park for both locals and foreigners alike.
- Pookode Lake: It is a beautiful freshwater lake that is located at a distance of 2km from Vythiri. It is tucked between the wooden slopes and evergreen forests and is among the must visit places for all tourists. You may take a cab or public bus to reach this lake. It is indeed an amazing getaway for families and couples alike and also makes a wonderful picnic spot. There are lots of activities to indulge here like sightseeing, boating, walking trails, handicraft shops, freshwater aquarium, etc. This lake is also stated to be the starting point for the well-renowned Panamaram River, considered to be the branch of River Kabini. This river is \said to join at the end at Panamaram Valley. You may hire a taxi, rickshaw, bus or car to reach this amazing spot. It is accessible between 9-5 pm. You can enjoy boating here. It takes about 1 to 2 hours to complete the tour and you need to pay a small fee for both adults and kids alike to get access. There is also a fish spa offered for 10 minutes for a nominal amount.
- Soochipara Falls: It is popularly called Sentinel Rock Waterfalls. This three tiered waterfall is located in Vellarimala in Wayanad. You can get to check out the lush deciduous, montane, evergreen forests. The waterfall is regarded to be among the best in the region covered by greenery all around. From Meppadi, you can take a cab to Sentinel. Along the route, you can find scenic views of the vast, popular Wayanad tea estates. These enchanting waterfalls cascades at a height of about 200m. It is a fabulous for rock climbers to enjoy their adventurous trip. Besides the beautiful flow and lush green surrounding, a beautiful pool is formed at its bottom where visitors can bathe, swim in its crystal clear, cool waters. Do take the track to check out the place where waters of the Soochipara falls join River Chilika. It is best visited between 9am and 5pm. Time taken to make the most of this place is around 1 to 2 hours. There is an entry and camera fee charged by the officials.
- Banasura Dam: This dam is located in Wayanad District’s Banasura foothills. This dam offers picturesque views and worth getting captured in your camera. It is also considered to be the country’s largest earthen dam\ as well as continent’s second largest one. The reservoir constructed at the dam’s top part offers stunning views. There are also adventurous activities offered here such as speed boating. You may even enjoy trekking up to Banasura Peak if you have ample time. It will take about 2-3 days to cover this place.
Hence, by gaining knowledge on the things to do in Vythiri, you are sure to have a great time throughout your visit.